Blue Amberol Records are a type of phonograph cylinder recording, introduced by Edison Records in 1912. They replaced the 4 minute black wax Amberol Record introduced in 1908.
Blue Amberol Records are made of blue celluloid around a plaster of paris core, and play for 4 minutes at 160 rpm. Their introduction led to a resurgence of sales of cylinder records.
After 1915, many Blue Amberol Records were acoustically dubbed from Edison Disc Records, and some recordings contain the sound of the disc machine starting and stopping. The celluloid surface of a Blue Amberol Record is able to withstand hundreds of playings, with only a moderate increase in surface noise if played on well-maintained machines with a stylus in good condition.
Kits were available to allow Blue Amberol Records to be played on older cylinder machines, and some machines were produced that could play both.
Production of Blue Amberol Records ceased in 1929, when Edison Records closed.